We can all be quite critical at times about what we’re putting into our bodies. Balancing your food and nutrition is important for general health – the more real food you can consume, the better. Journalist and author, Sarah Wilson, well known for her sugar-free diet and bright green shorts, describes this as JERF (Just Eat Real Food). Basically, you should quit the processed food and cut out the crap by purchasing and eating foods with less ingredients, additives, preservatives, numbers and jibberish.
This mindset can translate over to your bathroom beauty cabinet as well. Some of your favourite foods can be easily transformed into wonderful products that you can use on your face or body. It’s time to have a little bit of you time, and it starts with a trip into the kitchen.
I recently collaborated with the wonderful Matt, from men’s fashion and beauty blog Infirm of Purpose, to come up with three beauty products that you can make with ingredients you are likely to find in your cupboard or fridge. Not only do you know exactly what is going into these products, but they’re completely edible as well! In saying that, I don’t really recommend eating them…probably best to keep them for your next pampering session.
Cinnamon Lip Scrub
Use to remove dry skin from lips
2 tbsp castor sugar
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Scoop into an airtight container.
- To use, apply a small amount to the lips with your finger, and scrub in circular motions to remove dry skin. Wash away with water. Use up to three times per week.
Avocado and Honey Face Mask
Use to smooth and brighten your skin
1/2 ripe avocado
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp natural Greek yoghurt
- Scoop out avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork until you reach a smooth consistency. Alternatively, blend avocado in a food processor or blender for a smoother product.
- Add honey and yoghurt and stir to combine.
- Apply to face liberally, leave on for 20 minutes and wash away with water.
- Keep mask in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Green Tea, Cucumber and Mint Face Spritz
Use to refresh your face after working out, a long flight or too much time in air-conditioning
1.5 cups warm filtered water
1 bag OR 1 tsp loose leaf green tea
Slices of cucumber
1 small bunch of fresh mint
- In a small bowl, add green tea. Pour over with half of the warm water and allow to steep for 15 minutes. In another bowl, add mint leaves. Pour over with the remaining warm water and allow to infuse.
- In a larger bowl, add slices of cucumber. After green tea and mint has had time to infuse, pour over cucumber, reserving the tea bag or tea leaves. Allow to steep for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove cucumber and mint leaves from the liquid, before placing into the fridge to cool down. Pour into a small spray bottle.
- Keep spritz refrigerated for up to one week.
How do these easy DIYs measure up? Head on over to Infirm of Purpose to read Matt’s review on each product here.
If you do recreate any of these edible beauty products, be sure to tag myself and Infirm of Purpose on your social media so we can see your creations!
Follow Infirm of Purpose on Instagram here.